How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In January I won a case in the small claims court. The

This answer was rated:

In January I won a case in the small claims court. The person was supposed to pay me within the month but put in a written appeal. This appeal was denied, he has now put in an appeal where he stands in front of a judge. This appeal has been moved to a court about 35 miles away. Why would this have changed and am I entitled to be at the Court when he is heard?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is the other side in person please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex, sorry I don't understand the question - "Is the other side in person please?"

Ok - is the other party you sued an individual or company?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
limited company - although the only director/builder has said he will bankrupt the company if he has to pay the money which is approx £4,000.

Ok - which County Court did you win in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hastings but the appeal is now in Brighton

That explains it. Hastings does not have an appeal Court. However Brighton does, that is why it is there.

If you go to the appeal and win then you can claim loss of earnings, travel at 45p a mile and £18 an hour for time spent preparing

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to take all the paperwork from the initial hearing or will the Appeal Judge have all that? Will he ask me any questions if so, what type? And can I take someone with me (just for moral support)? as he's not a very nice man. Sorry Alex I hope that will be all the questions but is there anything you can think of that I should know as this is the one and only time I've been to Court.

The Judge will have the paperwork from the original hearing, unless that was handed back.

Yes you can take someone for support. The Judge may ask you questions yes.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing else at the moment so "Thank You Alex", although I'm sure to think of something else to ask! so I hope you won't mind if I contact you again.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you