How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10955
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am defendinf a false allegation from an ex employee

This answer was rated:

I am defendinf a false allegation from an ex employee Jolanta Hadzic. and a witness supporting my evidence gave a lengthy statement to a Police Inspector in 2015. The other day I asked our local police station for a copy of the statement but a police Sgt ridiculed my request. I later discovered, from a police Inspector that the statement had not been gleaned by the police to help my cause but was instigated as a result of a PIRCinvestigation into my claim that the police had as PIRC concluded £not dealt with my complaint to a reasonable standard"
Background. Employee made off with £6.5K and new company lap top. When I pursued her for explanation she alleged to police that I was stalking her.Police refuse to act alleging it is a "civil matter". Police took a statement from me regarding lap top but not the cash. Your Lawyer JGM recently ruled that since fraudulent misrepresentation was involved in the missing cash then there does seem to be grounds for a criminal investigation into missing cash and I have passed this view on to police.
Under the above circumstances. Can I demand a copy of my friend's police statement while quite happy to have address and phone numbers redacted?

1. Dear *****, you can ask for a copy of the police statement as part of the criminal process, under a disclosure order, once you have been charged with an offence. However, you will need to make this application before a court and to also give an undertaking that you will use this statement solely in order to defend your criminal charge. The police never hand out statements merely because someone requests one. A statement can be obtained as part of the bundle for criminal proceedings but any defendant must undertake to not use it for extraneous purposes before they will be given it. It is important that you appear reasonable when making such an application as the police can object if they believe there might be some interference with the witness. So, you should not pursue the matter aggressively with the police. Leave it to the court disclosure application to get the statement.

2. Please rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you