How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

A person I have known years owes me £5000. how can I collect

This answer was rated:

a person I have known for 8 years owes me £5000. how can I collect as she acknowledges the debt but refuses to pay

Hi, thank you for your question. Initially, you need to formally write her a letter before action - in the letter you need to outline the debt that is outstanding and provide a reasonable deadline for her to settle the debt, and state that if it is not settled by this date that you will pursue a court application for the debt.

If the debt is not settled voluntarily, you should then proceed with a small money claim which can be commenced here:

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you