How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am a US citizen. I was married in June 2012 to a US expat

This answer was rated:

I am a US citizen. I was married in June 2012 to a US ex***** *****ving in Scotland. He is a ILR. I now have a ILR and a residence permit as of Jan 2015.
My wallet was stolen in France, so now I need a replacement residence permit.
The problem is that in June of 2015 I went into a woman's shelter and now live on ESA.
I am afraid that if I tell the gov this info, they will not let me stay.

1. Dear *****, you are worrying unduly. Once you have got Indefinite Leave to remain, you can stay in the UK indefinitely. You cannot be thrown out, unless you committed some serious criminal offence. Certainly, just because you are in a Woman's shelter, you will most certainly NOT be thrown out of the UK. So, you are worrying unnecessarily. The next thing for you to consider is to get yourself in a position to apply for citizenship. After one year of ILR, you can apply for citizenship in the UK. So, this should be your aim. Once you get back working again, you should certainly consider an application for UK citizenship.

2. Secondly, you should immediately apply for a replacement residence permit for the one that got stolen. It makes no difference that this goes to the woman's refuge. The Home Office will not throw you out merely because you give an address of a woman's refuge. So, apply for this as soon as you can.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SirThank you for your quick response.I worked myself into a tizzy.Cheers