How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Our house is in a row of houses which backs onto a motorway

Customer Question

Our house is in a row of houses which backs onto a motorway and there is a fence running along the back of the houses which represents the boundary line. The strip of land between the fence and the motorway belongs to the Highways Agency and is covered by trees which were originally planted 20 years ago when the houses were built, to help block the noise from the motorway.
Our neighbour has taken down his section of the fence, chopped down several of the trees and started to extend his garden back towards the motorway, building a collection of ramshackle structures made out of bits of wood, plastic and netting to accommodate chickens.
I don't really care what he does behind his own house (even though it looks an absolute mess) but he has now started to move sideways and take over the strip of land behind our house, putting up netting to let the chickens roam around and dumping garden rubbish there, although he hasn't yet tried to cut any of the trees down.
Can he do this? I realise that this land behind our house isn't ours but it certainly isn't his either. Would it be worth contacting the Highways Agency?
Many thanks in advance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you spoken to Highways, if so what have they said?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rang them and they said to email them, enclosing a copy of the Land Registry extract (I have already obtained this from the Land Registry website) so I will do that & come back to you if that's OK
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.