How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I lent a person some money who failed to pay it back. I took

This answer was rated:

I lent a person some money who failed to pay it back. I took him to Court and won an order that he should repay me £200 per month about 8-years ago. He made one payment then disappeared. I have recently obtained his address to be in Guernsey - can I enforce the Court order for repayment there? The amount is £2800 before any charges or interest

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Would you be seeking to recover the amount in full or as per the arrangements in the initial order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** sure on the legal side to do with Guernsey though so will have to leave this and allow others to answer if possible thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at this stage - I just want you to inform me whether I can enforce repayment as I would in the UK or whether it is complicated, will require legal fees making the collection not worth while

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you done anything else to enforce at this stage?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing legal only written to him asking him to pay - no response.

Yes you can enforce in Guernsey. Under what is called the 1957 Law there is an agreement between England and Wales and Guernsey that Judgments in E&W can be enforced there.

As such you would need to make an application to register the Judgment there. Once its registered it has the same force as a Judgment given in their 'County Court'.

How you do that I dont know as I am a Solicitor of E&W. But you can get it transferred there and registered. Once you have that you can enforce it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think this will be financially viable?

I do yes. Alex

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you