How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10977
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My aunt is 93 and recently had a stroke and is now unable to

This answer was rated:

My aunt is 93 and recently had a stroke and is now unable to sign her name. No power of attorney has been put in place. She is now in a care home and no one can access her account to pay the council. What should we do?

1. Dear Debby, essentially, what you need to do is to make an application to the Court of Protection to have a Deputy appointed to manage your aunt's affairs generally and her financial affairs, in particular. Once a Deputy is appointed, they will have power to access your aunt's bank account and to discharge any monies owing to the Council, or to anyone else.

2. A Deputy is essentially someone appointed to make decisions on the part of someone else. A Deputy as to financial affairs is specifically given power to handle the financial affairs of the person who is subject to the Deputyship order. Here is a link to the UK Government website which sets out the process of applying to become a Deputy.

3. Someone within your extended family will have to agree to act as Deputy in relation to your aunt. I would suggest someone who is good with money and who would also be able to make decisions in relation to her care. A Deputy can deal with issues such as consent to treatment and where your aunt should receive this care.

4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you