How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have just been scamed. I had some gardeners in to

This answer was rated:

I have just been scamed. I had some gardeners in to landscape my garden. It has cost me 33.000 pounds. They We're paid up front with no written quote. I know it is very stupid of me but they seemed very genuine. I have been to the bank and they are doing what they can. . The police told me it was a civil matter and to see a solicitor. The gardeners built the decking and went with probably 25.000 pounds of my Money. It was all done through bank transfer. What are my chances in court.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you have this persons name and address, or was it a company?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The name of the company is tip top tree surgeons. The name of the person who's bank I transfered it into is JD Steinbach. I also have his sort code and account no.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who do I send the request for losses to. I have no address.

Yes you do this In a letter. But if you have no address you need to ask their bank for details. They will refuse and then you make an application to the county court that their bank disclose the name and address of their customer.

So you first write to their bank.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand I will do that tomorrow. thanks

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you