How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11865
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

We are thinking about changing the deeds of our house over

This answer was rated:

We are thinking about changing the deeds of our house over to our three sons. They would be partners in common. We would like a clause saying that they cannot sell the house until we no longer need it. Is this possible, if it is, is it difficult to do and how costly (roughly) would it be.
Thank you L Poole


You could place a restriction on the register of the title preventing them from any dealing until the restriction has been dealt with. You will need a Form RX1 (which you can download from the landregistry website) and will need to file this at HM Land registry along with the appropriate fee.

If you have a mortgage on the property, you will need to redeem this before transferring.

You may also need to consider any stamp duty liability if you are transferring for a consideration.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

chatham-chamber and other Law Specialists are ready to help you