How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife has just split up with me and has moved out of our

This answer was rated:

My wife has just split up with me and has moved out of our rented house. Everything is in both of our names from the contract to the house to the Electricity and phone bill. Is she still entitled to pay half of the rent and bills etc.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Are there any children involved and what income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no children involved. She earns £25kp/a and I earn £28kp/a

Since she is not living there she is no longer responsible for any of the Utility Bills and can ask for them to be transferred into your name.

Legally she is still responsible for the rent so far as the landlord is concerned - but since you are living there and she is not you will find it difficult to force the issue

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even though we are 3 months into a 12 month contract she may not have to pay the rent

Since she is not living there then yes you will struggle to get any payment from her

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you