How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have found a shop which has an existing tenant in place

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have found a shop for rent which has an existing tenant in place with 14 months left in her agreement. Can the lease easily be transferred over if all parties are in agreement?

1. Essentially, all that needs to take place here is an assignment of the lease from the existing holder of the lease to the person who intends to take over. It is important that this Assignment of the lease is in writing as it is not valid if it is not in writing. If the landlord is amenable you can seek to extend the term of the lease. However, this should not prejudice existing rights to renewal or other accrued rights in relation to the lease. I would suggest you get a solicitor to draft up the assignment of the lease. Whilst this might seem unnecessary, it does ensure that it is done properly.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you