How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I lent my partners mother £5000 paid strait to her bank

This answer was rated:

I lent my partners mother £5000 paid strait to her bank account from mine, I am now breaking up with my partner and the mother will not return the monies stating that I gave her the monies when I was in a relationship with her daughter and her daughter owes her money from before I met her, I have no written agreement just proof that I sent the monies from my bank account to hers, what can I do? thank you.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Have you made any formal requests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Can I just check when the money was given and was it given in the understanding it was a loan to be repaid?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have just looked on my bank statements, it was the 2nd November 2015. I did it as a bill payment as its easy to transfer, but obviously I don't pay bills to her for anything. It was made clear to her daughter as she asked me on behalf of her mother, I did ask why as her mothers husband is not short of money, she said it was personnel and her mother wanted money now without him knowing at this time. to be honest, throughout this transaction I only spoke with the daughter, but refused to put it in her account to pass over to her mum and insisted I send it strait to her mums bank account as proof of loan.

Thanks, ***** ***** call shortly, just have another customer in line first

Hi, sorry I have just seen you have not provided a phone number, can you please do so in the private message area on this page, thanks

Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

To cancel subscription see here: