How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have just received a s172 form stating that I was speeding

This answer was rated:

I have just received a s172 form stating that I was speeding 36 in a 30 zone. I've checked the photo and it is my car shown.
The date of the photo is the 28/04/16, the date on the s172 is 31/05/16 clearly that is outside of the 14 day window.
Does that time scale mean the s172 is now not valid?

Are you the registered keeper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its my company car, the company I work for is the registered keeper.

Does it say reminder on their anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Were you stopped at scene?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, the first I knew about it was today when I opened the letter

And the DVLA have the right address for you and it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The letter has been sent to the right company address, but did not have the companies name on it so its taken a few days to find its way to me. However the date of the speeding is 28/4/16 and the date on the letter is 31/5/16.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?

Yes, Im here.

If that is right then they are time barred. A NIP should have either been delivered at scene or issued by post within 14 days. They did not.

However, it is important to disclose the identity of the driver. If you do not they will prosecute you for failing to identify which is probably their game.

The speeding may be time barred because of the NIP but that does not mean your S172 responsibilities do not apply so you must truthfully name the driver.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. So I should fill in and return the s172. If they continue to try and prosecute for the speeding how should respond?

Then you would have to be wiling to spend time contesting it.

You would have to refuse the offers of fixed penalty etc.

If they go to court then make an application to strike it out on the basis that the NIP is out of time.

It won't come to that though. Usually you hear nothing else from them.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks Jo,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jo,It would seem that they are moving forward. They have offered me the standard 3 operations. Basses on your responses above please advise my next steps.

You mean a fixed penalty or the course?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they have offered both or I can go to court.

Then you have to decide whether you are willing to run the risk.

If you do the course it will all disappear.

If you refuse either and go to court then you can argue that they were time barred but that is always a risk.

It depends how strongly you feel.

Also, the real issue for the likes of you and me is the wasted time involved in going to court. It is all very well if you live on benefits or off your husband. Real proper people have better things to do with their time though.