How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I have been a tenant in a lovely property years now. Within

This answer was rated:

I have been a tenant in a lovely property for 3 years now. Within the first couple of months, due to lack of space I had asked the porter whether we have any storage facilities in the building for me to place the landlord's 2 armchairs. He had shown me a storage room where other people had also left their stuff. This room was locked and safe hence we placed the 2 armchairs there. In January our old porter left and a new one came on board. A few months ago the landlord visited and asked about the armchairs - when we went to the storage room, it was completely empty and the new porter said that many things went missing etc. The managing agents of the flat have responded that I am the only person liable as this room was not supposed to be used for storing stuff and they will not be held responsible. Now the landlord has asked me to pay 1400 for the 2 chairs claiming that they were custom made etc - whereas she has provided me with no receipts or so to show how much they really cost (although they did look like really expensive). What can I do? Shall I say that I am only willing to pay 400/chair as it was not 100% my fault that they went missing plus I have no proof of their real value? Any suggestions? Thanks so much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add that in the tenancy agreement it was mentioned that I am not allowed to move anything out of the property. I just thought that the storage room was kind of part of the property. I know that most probably I need to compensate the landlord for the loss of the armchairs, however am I not supposed to dispute the 1400 GBP?


I hope I can assist.

As a tenant you are responsible for the furniture the landlord puts into the property. Therefore the landlord can claim the cost of replacement from you. You did take a risk in removing the armchairs from the property.

The landlord is entitled to claim the cost of the armchairs.

My only suggestion is to negotiate, if you can, to reduce the amount you have to pay.

Does the landlord hold a deposit? If you do not pay the landlord can deduct the amount from the deposit.

Unfortunately I do not think you are in a strong position to avoid liability.

Do try to negotiate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I do understand that I will have to proceed with paying for the armchairs, however doesn't the landlord need to provide me with a receipt or something that proves the cost of the armchairs? Should I just accept any amount they ask for without any dispute? I have paid a 3500 GBP deposit. I was just wondering on what ground shall the negotiation be made.Thanks so much for your help,M.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the moment, they've just sent me a letter saying that these armchairs are no longer being manufactured and have included a copy of a ***** ***** armchair that they think is the closest to the original one. Please note that details of the original armchairs (ie name of manufacturer/brand, type, price etc) are not mentioned anywhere, not even in the inventory.)

Yes, do try to establish the cost of the chairs. Hopefully you can establish this with the landlord. If the landlord does not produce receipts or establish the value of the chairs and you do not pay then the landlord will seek to deduct this from your tenancy deposit of £3500.

However, our tenancy deposit should be registered with a deposit scheme. This is a legal requirement. If you do not pay and the landlord wishes to deduct this from your deposit at the end of the tenancy then the deduction and reason behind it has to be disclosed. You can then dispute this via the deposit scheme. The scheme will suggest some form of alternative dispute resolution to resolve the dispute but you and the landlord both have to agree to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you so much, your help is much appreciated.

No problem. Glad I could help. If you need any further help please just send me a message. I am happy to assist further.

I hope you resolve the issue. Best wishes...

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you