How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50180
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Pickford moved me recently. And my goods were badly packed.

This answer was rated:

Pickford moved me recently. And my goods were badly packed. So much so there is suff damaged. They have agreed to pay for what I can see. But they have put my stuff into an independent Storage. As my house is not ready yet. As my stuff was so badly packed by them I am so worried that when I do unpack the rest of my thinks may also be damaged.So I have asked them to please extend my cover till I can check it. But they have said No. So I wonder what my rights are. Can you help? Please.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Have you asked them to confirm whether any of your other goods are damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did offer for someone to come to the storage unit to let me go though it. But as you can understand that would take hours and as I'm moving to my new home on the 8 July. I just asked them to extend the cover time. I have been though a lot of stress over the last 18 month. With my husband death and having to move. And now I have this to dale with. I just don't have the strength to do that. And this is just adding to that Strees And would prover to wait till I move in to my home.

Yes I understand and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. The issue here is that you cannot force them to extend the cover until you move in and can unpack the items. You can of course ask them to do so but if they refuse, then you cannot force them to do it. So if they are adamant that they will not provide the cover, you have the following options:
• Leave it as it is and when you unpack the things at your house, do so in a way which you can use to show any damage as things are unpacked. By that I mean use a video or photo camera to take actual evidence of the items as they are unpacked so that you have proof of what, if any, damage has been caused. You can then still pursue them for these damages as they would be liable for them regardless
• You can take this matter to the Removals Ombudsman, a neutral third party which oversees the removals industry and they can require the company to do something, such as extend the cover

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have should the cover mot be extended and you still find further damage, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ben for your Advice with my problems with Pickfords. They have agreed to hold off with checking my stuff till I move in. But are not Committing to anything yet. So thank you. I did rate you. Mrs Worrall.

Rating received, many thanks. Feel free to get back to me if you need further assistance