How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I get legal aid if I am not on Benefits. I am a

This answer was rated:

Can I get legal aid if I am not on Benefits. I am a pensioner on a State Pension and a modest company pension and have approx. £11,000 in cash ISA's/

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What are you hoping to apply for Legal Aid to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Landlords, Hyde Housing Association, have imposed horrendously extreme service charges this year, over 1000%, without any justification for the enormous increase. I have requested, at least 6 times, a copy of the 2014/2015 ACTUAL Expenditure, but they seem to be unwilling to provide this. For those in the block on Benefits (12 out of 16) this is not a problem, but for the self-payers it is devastating. Where do they think we can find an extra £30 a week for something they are unable to justify? Obviously I have written to them about this (on 3 April and then again on 13 May, and my Housing Officer chased it again a week ago. I have not had the courtesy of an acknowledgement. We have had enormous problems here for years as Hyde have fraudulently charged us for services we did not received (which we proved) and they are still doing this. They have become a Dictatorship. We have not rights as per our Rental Agreement. We have no Voice. We are not consulted. They employ bullying tactics to frighten people. You only have to look on Facebook under "Hyde Housing Independent Residents Association" to see the hundreds of complaints against Hyde from other residents in Hyde Properties.
I have gone down the Complaints Procedure Route (waste of time) MP, local Councillor. They are classified as an "Exempt Charity" but they should be Regulated by someone as they are totally unable to manage their properties or run their own business. I plan to write to the Prime Minister as I just cannot take this any more. Any suggestions?

I am sorry to give bad news but whether or not you are financially eligible this is not a matter for which you will be able to obtain Legal Aid.

I wish the news was better

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you