How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

How do I get a partner out of my rented property? Basically

Customer Question

how do I get a partner out of my rented property? Basically I got with my partner 3 years ago and he lived in his own rented property but basically stays at mine and has most of his clothing here, we haven't been getting on for a while as all he does is finish work comes home to mine and gets drunk and calls me names, it's got to the stage when I finish work I have to go to my room as he wont let me watch tv in my own living room as he wont give me TVs remote, I have asks him to leave foe the last 6 months but refuses to leave and tells me to get the police to get him as he has right even though it's only my name on the agreement, and up to a month ago I have just found out that he has gave up his own rented property a year ago without telling me, so now in the eyes of the law I should of let council tax know as I was getting 25 per cent discount, but to my knowledge I thought he was paying his own rent and council tax as as far as I knew he was still renting the property,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

You need to give him "reasonable written notice to leave " two weeks would be reasonable.

At the end of that time pack up his belongings and change the locks (get your landlords permission) and call the police if he attempts to re-enter the property.

If in the mean time he is violent then call the police immediately

Please ask if you need further details