How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a question about criminal damage can you help?

Customer Question

I have a question about criminal damage can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I own a small building firm and over the last few months we have built an extension for customer. Into the extension we also installed a kitchen. The job didn't go great and half way through the kitchen fitting we had to leave site because units had arrived and the customer hadn't provided detailed plans of the kitchen layout. I e-mailed the husband saying we couldn't go any further until we had these things. A week later the husband e-mailed back saying he didn't want us to finish and he had instructed someone else. Then another week later (2 days ago) a Policeman from my local station rang saying they had accused me of criminal damage and I must come in for an interview!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry reading back my text I meant to say "we had to leave site because some of the units hadn't arrived"
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - what is the basis for criminal damage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apparently I cut an electrical cable which I didn't but regardless of that my electrician hadn't finished the electrics which weren't live and they haven't paid for the electrical work so far or the materials which they've now said they're not going to.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

That's it - a cut cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Well I wouldnt worry about it. In any event they are not an electrician and as such not qualified to say whether there was a cut cable or otherwise and in any event cant say whether that was right.

Criminal damage is intentional or reckless destruction of property belonging to another. This is not.

The person making the complaint is not an electrician so cant say what happened was wrong.

You will have to go for an interview but you just need to say what happened and that the works were not done, so couldnt be wired up as unsafe etc.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?