How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I moved into a property months the landlord had not received

This answer was rated:

I moved into a property for 6 months for which the landlord had not received approval from the Council to convert from industrial use to residential use. I then received an eviction notice from the Council halfway through - the landlord appealed, and the case is still pending.
I've now left the property, but had many difficulties with utilities for example while there. Is it possible for me to go to Court to retrieve the rent I paid for those 6 months?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would be the value of your claim please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be for the 6 months of rent I loved there on top of my deposit, so around £8000.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you