How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can I deduct the cost of having locks changed from a deposit

This answer was rated:

Can I deduct the cost of having locks changed from a deposit given to me (a tenant) by a flat mate who has left early (though rent paid) and taken the keys. I have requested the keys and been told they will be returned by post on receipt of the whole deposit paid into an account (details of account have been provided). The deposit is not in the deposit scheme and as a tenant I apparently would not be able to use this scheme.
They moved out without notice on Saturday so I am wondering how much time I have to get info on this before they may start some kind of proceedings assuming they are able to do that. We had an agreement I downloaded from the internet and though not signed I do have an email agreeing to the terms of the document. It's a fairly loose agreement but does include the following - For the purpose of this clause, the Landlord may charge the Tenant for professional cleaning and repairs if the Tenant has not made alternate arrangements with the Landlord'.
thank you

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help You.

Does the agreement allow you to levy a charge for this?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no specific clause - the only thing close is what I included in the last message i.e. if repairs or cleaning is needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi are you still there?

Then sadly no you can not charge.

Your right to charge comes from the terms of the agreement and if the agreement does not allow you to charge for this then you can not.

You have no power under the contract to charge for it.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks in that case what would be best practice therefore to get my keys back sending in the post is unsafe and I am not guaranteed I will get them once I have transferred the money

You ask for confirmation in writing that tenant has left and can then change the locks. But you can't charge for that.

I am sorry. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you