How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A contractor doing works on an adjacent property came on to

This answer was rated:

Hello - a contractor doing works on an adjacent property came on to our roof without permission - I called the contractor - who was rude and aggressive - works are being carried out at the behest of Circle 33 Housing Association - I have complained to them and await their reply. How should I proceed ? Are circle 33 ultimately responsible or will i have to seek recompense from the contractor directly ( Circle 33 have told me I need to do this but i don't thing this is the case ) .

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

When he went onto the roof, was there any damage?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - i can't go on to the roof myself - would need scaffolding hight ladders etc to get access & not being a professional would not be qualified to assess damage -

It's a matter for the housing association. They are your landlord and it is their property. The housing association are ultimately responsible.

Therefore you should contact them. If there has been damage then that is due to be repaired. Housing association is totally liable to you as tenant.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - i own the property - the housing association own the property next door - their contractors have trespassed on to my roof which is privately owned by myself -

Ok. The housing association would still be liable, as they instructed the contractor.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there an act I can reference as they have told me that i must take it up with the contractor and it has nothing do with them -

This is common law of negligence. No Act of Parliament exists. You sue them, they counter sue the contractor.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks - other than any damaged caused - is there any other compensation I would be entitled too ? Spent all day phoning & have had to pay for your advise etc

Phone calls and this advice, yes. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks - I'll take further with the Housing Association -

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks. Alex