How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35214
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and daughter in law have divorced. They have a son

This answer was rated:

My son and daughter in law have divorced. They have a son 17/2.
My daughter in law saved money in an account for my grandson for when he was 18.
He has now been informed that she has spent the money. She is saying that it was her money as she saved it.
This is wrong as, yes she saved it over the years but also he was given £500 by my father when he was born then a friend of mine left him £1,000 and his other Grandmother left him about £3,000. I am in the process of trying to get a copy of her will.
My grandson wanted to use this money towards university, a small car maybe.
Is there anything we can do?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first.

Did she hold the account in her sole name and did all the money you have listed go into the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The money was in a Halifax Junior Saver account.
It was in my grandson's name his mother was the signatury(?).
The account is still active with £73.50 in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My grandson has the details of the account but I would rather not ask him at the moment as he has been under a lot of stress and is taking his a-level mocks at the moment

When will your Grandson become 18?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
29th MARCH 2017

Your Grandson will be able to sue his mother for the return of the funds if she does not hand over ALL the monies when he is 18.

He should make sure that he keeps a record of what was in the account - and he can use the Money claim online service when the time comes

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you