How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

My flat lease states that the management charges must be

This answer was rated:

my flat lease states that the management charges must be paid in advance for the year or if agreed by the management company can be paid by direct debit over 12 months.
I previously paid the yearly charges by lump sum payments made by chq always in advance of the yearly amount owed divided by 12 months. ie 4 chqs quarterley in advance.
My management company cashed the first chq in December 2016 for the first quarter, however rejected the 2nd quarterly payment and demanded payment in full via their solicitors.
Have i any rights to object to full payment as being un reasonable? even though stated in the lease as above??

Hi there

Thanks for your question.

Sadly, on what you have said, the management company can demand this. This is because the lease is a form of contract between the parties. Therefore you are legally bound by the terms and obligations set out in the lease. The management company would appear to have discretion as to whether it agrees to you paying by 12 monthly installments. Therefore it can change this agreement at any time and demand payment in full.

I am sorry but you cannot object even if you think it is unreasonable. The best you can do is to try to persuade them to continue the arrangement but it is not legally obliged to.

I hope this clarifies the position for you legally.

Please can I ask you to take a moment to accept / rate my response so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Best wishes

Hi there

I am just following up on my response.

Do you have any questions or queries in respect of my answer?

If not please can I ask you to accept /rate my reply otherwise I will not receive credit for the time taken to answer your question.

Kind regards

Hi there

I am just checking to see if I can assist further with your query.


Can I assist you further with your question?

Do you have any queries in respect of my answer?

Happy to assist you further.

If not, please can I ask you to take a moment or two to leave a positive rating in order that I receive credit for my time in advising you.

King regards

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you