How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

We rent a space from our landlord as a cafe .. We have been

This answer was rated:

We rent a space from our landlord as a cafe .. We have been trying to sell the business had a person make us a verbal offer . But now they've changed there mind and are doing a deal directly with landlord . Is there nothing we can do .


This will depend on the nature of your relationship with the landlord and the type of deal you wish to do.

Can you provide me with additional details please.

Are you a tenant or licensee? Is there a lease?

What deal ate you proposing to enter into with the 3rd party?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi we brought the business and good will from the previous tenant . We took it on as tenancy agreement for 1 year . We handed in our notice end of March for 3 months . The landlord said we could sell the business .ie good will , fixtures and fittings . The lady we had interested spoke to our landlady to discuss current bills and contract . She then said to us she was no longer interested and we now find she is taking over the space when we leave . Obviously we gave her all our figures to work with


Thanks for providing further details.

Sadly, I think that you are not in a strong position here as you have given notice to terminate your lease (without sight of the lease and notice no comment is made as to your lease or the notice served to terminate it) which your landlord has accepted as valid.

Legally you cannot force the new tenant to do a deal with you on the goodwill/fixtures and fittings. Al you can do is to try to contact the prospective new tenant to see if they will buy the goodwill and assess. If they are to operate as a cafe the new tenant may want the assets. But like I said there is nothing you can do to prevent to new tenant dealing with the landlord direct.

Whilst not the news you were hoping for I do hope that this helps.

Please can you accept/rate my response so that I receive credit for the time I have spent assisting you.

Best wishes.

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you