How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I sold my flat and invested the proceeds (38k) in to my

Customer Question

Hi, I sold my flat and invested the proceeds (38k) in to my girlfriends house just under two years ago. The relationship has deteriated from that point and I am suscpicous of my girlfriends intentions. I pay the mortgage on our property but she has two children from a previous marriage. I need advice on how to best protect my investment of she moves to end the relationship. Can you advise please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

-What is the value of the property and the outstanding mortgage?

-How was your £38,000 used on the property?

-Are there any formal agreements or deeds of trust in place?

-Do you have children together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, we don't have any children. The mortgage is in both our names. My £37k was used to pay off her ex-husband. The property is worth £450k with a mortgage of £150k. There are no deeds of trust I can recall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Is the title deed also in joint names and equal shares?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so by can't find a copy of it in our files which is furling my suspicion
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - you should first check here:

You need to order the Title Deed (no need for the Title Plan) for £3 and it will show you the details of who is named on the title.

If you are named on the title and are joint tenants or tenants in common in equal shares, then legally you are both entitled to the property. If upon sale she contests that you should be entitled to equal share then she would need to pursue a court application and she would need to prove that both your intentions were that you would not equally share the proceeds of sale.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.