How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been to a magistrates court today to try and make a

This answer was rated:

I have been to a magistrates court today to try and make a declaration, which has been rejected by the magistrate. The offence was for keeping a vehicle without tax, however the vehicle was stolen (which I reported at the time to the police and the Dvla). The vehicle was registered to my old address and the Dvla wrote to this address regarding unpaid tax, but I didn't receive this as I had moved to a new address and I had not informed the Dvla of my new address. Consequently, the magistrate has rejected my declaration as I should have informed the Dvla of my new address. I have been told that if I pay the outstanding amount then the issue will be resolved. However, will this mean that I have a criminal record that I need to disclose to employers?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, what was the declaration for? That you didnt know of proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's correct - because the correspondence was apparently sent to my previous address, the first I knew of the proceedings was when I received a bailiffs letter in April 2016. (The vehicle was stolen in Feb 2015)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved from my old address in Oct 2014, but should have informed Dvla of my new address, straight away. Although the address has now been updated wih Dvla, because this wasn't done within 28 days, the magistrate rejected my declaration

You wont have a criminal record for this as its a non recordable offence.

So it wont show.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's great - thanks for your help

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm satisfied with the retainer provided and would recommend the server in future

Thanks. Please remember to rate my answer - thanks! Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you