How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My father owned some land when he died in the year 2000. In

Customer Question

My father owned some land when he died in the year 2000.
In his will he left everything to my mother.
My mother decided to sell the land.
She was told that she couldn't sell the land because it was in his name.
What can she do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Inheriting his estate does not automatically transfer the title of the land/property to her name and she needs to undertake a transfer of the land to her name, after which she will be free to sell the property.

There are different applications depending on whether the property was in his sole name or not and you can check here for the specific requirements:

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

I note that the property is in your late father's sole name and that he left a Will.

Your mother will need to obtain Probate of the Will if she has not already done so.

This can be done in person by the named Executor at the local Probate Registry if that is preferred

Once probate has been obtained the the property can either be sold by the Executor or it can be transferred into the name of your mother using an

AS1 and App1 and then sold.

Please ask if you need further details