How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I woyid like to buy a house in Nottingham what should I do?

Customer Question

I woyid like to buy a house in Nottingham what should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.


The first thing you should do is to check finances. Do you need a mortgage, if yes the you need to see whether or not you can get one. Speak to a financial advisor / mortgage broker.

Once you have your finances sorted you will know your budget and can start looking for a property.

If you find a property you like and your offer is accepted you will need to appoint a solicitor to do the conveyancing for you.

It can generally take between 4 to 8 weeks to complete.

On exchange you will pay a deposit and be contractually bound. Before this stage you can withdraw. On completion your solicitor will pay any Sdlt due (you can calculate this on HMRC's website, it is based on the purchase price) and register you as the new owner at the land registry.

I hope this helps. Do let me know if you have any further questions or queries in respect of my answer. Please remember to accept /rate my reply.

Kind regards

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I assume that this is a follow on from the other question

It would be better to keep it on one thread.

The starting point is to contact Estate Agents and ask for details of properties

A web site such as

Can help you identify suitable properties.

However you must factor in a visit to the area so that you can physically look at the houses and check the area.

One thing to consider is what the local schools are like and that can be done here

I hope that this is of assistance

Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.


I hope my answer was helpful. do let me know if you have any further questions or queries. I am happy to assist you further.

If not, then please accept /rate my reply.

Good luck

Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Then go direct to the regulator. If your solicitor is not responding and progressing your matter then you recourse is with the regulator. My suggestion would be to call the regulator or the legal services ombudsman.

Ombudsman - 0300(###) ###-####/p>

SRA -***@******.*** or complete an online form on the website, > report a solicitor scroll down to how to report a solicitor or firm.

Sorry that you find my response unhelpful - however those are your options - complain/report/change firm.

Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Apologies. I note that a reply to another question has been sent to you in error.

Do let me know if I can assist further with your question.