How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I would like advice about how to get my husband taken off

This answer was rated:

I would like advice about how to get my husband taken off the mortgage as we are separated and i am paying the full mortgage

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Has there been a court-approved financial settlement?

-Is the property in joint names too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in England, the property is in joint names, there has not been any court approved financial settlement as we are trying to keep it out of court. I have been in touch with lender and they say I would have to remortgage property in my name, but I am unable to do this for atleast a couple of years because I have ccjs on my credit file. My husband is happy just to sign what needs to be signed, he does not want any share of house as kids living there etc and he is aware i am paying morgage on my own for last few years

Thank you for confirming. It is helpful that you and your husband are agreeing to a settlement out of court.

However, in relation to the mortgage, it is for the mortgage company to agree to transfer it to your sole name despite what you agree with your husband and the mortgage company will do this subject to their affordability and credit checks. If they are unable to agree to do this without you obtaining a new mortgage, then unfortunately you will have to wait until you are able to do this in the next few years.

In any event, the financial settlement between you and your husband can still be finalised in the meantime and the settlement can reflect that you will continue to make efforts to have it transferred to your sole name or remortgaged.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you