How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have a son who has been in Armley Prison Leeds 4 years.

This answer was rated:

We have a son who has been in Armley Prison Leeds for over 4 years. He is now in a wheelchair they diagnosed Jason with a rare arthritis. He pleaded not guilty it was very much a Joint Enterprise. Jason has been a model prisoner but being moved to a cat D seems impossible. The thing is we live in New Zealand, we have been over and done visits but what is now coming to light on his telephone conversations is that Jason as 22 more months to do and he has become extremely very low mentally. His weight as increased by 4 stones as he gets no exercise, rarely there is anybody to take him to the gym. Last week he was strip searched for no reason, this took him down another level. Jason comes across and gives the impression that he can do his time but 4 years down the line in the same prison that in theory is only a holding prison is now taking its toll on him. We are extremely worried and don't know what to do. Once out he will go to all the lengths that is possible to clear his name because he is in prison on false accusations. Please could you advise as to what we can do . Kind Regards ***** ***** Barry Robinson

Hello Barry my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We need to know how to get Jason moved from a holding prison after 4 years of him being held there. Jasons mental state is now of great concern.

Has he had a psychiatric assessment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not at that point yet, you don't seem to be giving us any answers. Just answer is now asking for a further 75 dollars for a phone call, we haven't had any value for the 95 dollars we have paid yet.
We are retired and experienced to a certain degree in life. Our son is 43 and was given a sentence that did not fit the so called crime he was supposed to be involved with. We await a much more meaning full reply.

Yes I cant give you a full answer until I know all the information. I did offer a phone call which is an additional service, which you dont have to accept.

You need to ask for a psychiatric assessment to determine his condition. Then and only then can anything be done as if he is assessed as not having any condition then he may not be moved.

If you do the above and the prison does not move, or refuses to carry the assessment out you can then complain to the Prison Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free. This is the way forward to you without cost.

The Ombudsman is at:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about being held in a holding prison for 4 years ?
Can you tell us if this is illegal ?

Its not illegal no.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will probably seek Psychiatric assessment.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you