How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7046
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

My daughter lives in a semi detached house, with an average

This answer was rated:

My daughter lives in a semi detached house, with an average sized garden, her neighbours are going to put a skateboard ramp in the garden. Not only will this be noisy, but it will mean that their 14 year old son will, when on the top of the ramp be looking over their garden. They live in a quiet residential area, and re terrified of the thought of this ramp appearing. Can you offer any advice or suggest what action they should take?
Thank you
Jacqueline Swann

Dear *****

The fact that it will enable the son to look in the garden is not a factor as we have no right in respects of not being overlooked or invasion of privacy.

The reason is that we are a relatively small island and such a right is not feasible.

They can, however, argue that it will present a nuisance not just to them but other neighbours.

I would not recommend that they go beyond a letter threatening action for nuisance, because I think a court would take the view that it is not much different to a teenager playing music, a basketball hoop , playing football all the time or numerous other noisy teenage activities.

As such, I am afraid there are no magic solutions beyond the hope that a stroppy letter from a solicitor in respect of "nuisance" will put them off.

If there are any further points please reply and I will be happy to response.

Best wishes


Michael Holly and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you