How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I have a tiny company, and re a consultant. In the signed

This answer was rated:

I have a tiny company, and hire a consultant. In the signed consultancy agreement I have agreed to pay him 5 days after submittal of his invoice. This is impractical. I wish to make an amendment to the contract to change this to mid or end of month payment, whichever is closest to the date he submits his invoice. Can I do this?

Hi Judi

Thanks for your question. In a nutshell, an employer who imposes a contractual change without the employee’s express agreement will be in breach of contract and the original terms of the contract will remain in place. You will need the express agreement of the consultant to do this.

I hope this clarifies the position.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any contract can be amended. I understand I am presently in breach of contract by delaying payment 5 days. What Iwant is a remedy to amend the contract to remove the pressure on me to pay within 5 days of receiving his invoice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You refer to a contractural change "without the employee's express agreement...". This is quite a separate contractural arrangement to an employment contract. My understanding is my obligations to a Consultant are markedly different to if he were an employee.

it is still a contract. you cannot unilaterally amend a contract. the amendments will not be valid.

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you