How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I recently won a civil case . My costs where not awarded

This answer was rated:

I recently won a civil case . My costs where not awarded owing to my solicitor being negligent and not producing my costs to the court .

Hi Mark

Thanks for your email.

In the first instance make a complaint to the firm's senior partner to say you are not happy to pay costs due to the solicitor's negligence. If there is any suggestion of negligence on the part of the solicitor see what the firm has to say about it, they may make an offer on fees.

If you are not satisfied, or you can do this in the first instance if you wish, you can refer the matter to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The solicitor concerned acted for me until the day of the hearing where I represented myself and won the case . There was a second defendant in the case also . They where awarded there costs . I was not awarded mine .....the judge commented my costs where not sent in by the solicitor acting for me until the hearing . He commented my solicitor was negligent in not sending in my costs . The solicitor will not answer me .....and has dropped his demands for the rest of his bill . I have paid him /lost £5000 ..........many thanks I will try to recoup somehow !

Hi Mark

If the solicitor is refusing to respond then go straight to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Contact the court to see you you can have the court confirm in writing the judge's comment regarding the solicitor's negligence.

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you