How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am Vishnu, an tenant years at 140 abbeydale road, S7 1FF

This answer was rated:

Hello I am Vishnu, an tenant for 3 years at***** S7 1FF where I paid £425 as deposit as CASH and rent each month as CASH - I dont have any receipts towards rent or deposit, all I have is the tenancy agreement mentioning amount of deposit and rent and also inventory check letter signed by the landlord. I found that Deposit is not been protected by protection scheme and they advised me to proceed this to local county court. Could you please advise me on the above what to do as I have paid my rent and deposit as Cash? Thanks Vishnu

Hello Vishru my name is ***** ***** I will help you. Are you still in the property? Have you asked the Landlord for evidence that it is protected? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved out of the property on 31st May - I cleaned the property, re-painted it and left the property as it was when I moved in. since then, I was trying contact with the landlord to get my deposit back but he use to say some reasons to get my deposit back to his pocket.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many Thanks for your reply, I am happy to proceed this to county court if they are not settled this down but all I paid over Cash and only receipt I have is the tenancy agreement - is still there a chance to win this case if I take this to County court? Thanks Vishnu

Yes I think you can win in court and you have a case.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot, so what documents do I need if I take this to the court now and what are the steps? Because I already gave landlord 14 days to settle down my deposit.

Can you see my response above? You can issue proceedings online at:

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex, sorry I forgot to click on that link - Yes, It's clarified now. Please send me a transcript of this chat if possible. Thanks Vishnu

Once you rate you can save the chat or come back to the question in your account.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you