How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I own a small self contained modern office property which is

This answer was rated:

I own a small self contained modern office property which is let on a lease prohibiting sub-letting in part or sharing possession. The tenant has allowed a friend to work from the property, give the address of the property on his web-site and put his name on the door. He occupies a first floor room to which the tenant also has access and use the lavatories. Is this a protected by the Landlord and Tenant Act and how can I regularize the position as forfeiture seems risky and expensive

Hi Lee. Thank you for your response. Based on this, I will go ahead and review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Sorry. I sent that response to you by accident. I will opt out for another expert.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the sub tenant have a lease of his/her own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the sub-tenant does not have a written lease or document

Ok - then no the sub tenant does not have protection. They are a sub tenant and unless there is anything to the contrary they are not protected by the Act.

If you want the sub tenant to leave you need to write and ask him to leave or say you will seek a Court order.

If the sub tenant refuses then you need to write to the main tenant and ask him to get the sub tenant to leave.

If the tenant does not then you can seek a court order for lease to be forfeit. Sadly that is all you can do.

You cant get a Court order making the main tenant get rid of the sub tenant.

So all you can do is threaten the main tenant that you will forfeit the lease.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you really mean the sub tenant does not have protection. When the head lease ends is he unable to claim a new tenancy under the Landlord and Tenant Act. If this is the case I am content. I simply do not want to be stuck with a sub tenant in part when the head lease ends

No, the sub tenant has no rights. Your tenant does but not sub tenant.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
excellent. Thank you