How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My daughter lives in a semi detached house which she has a

This answer was rated:

My daughter lives in a semi detached house which she has a mortgage on,the house next door is council owned.2 weeks a go they had a fire next door and the house was badly damaged and the daughters property was smoke damaged and they had to move out and come and live with us.she found out later that her neighbour didn't have insurance so she rang her own insurance company to find out where she stood and what was the next thing to do.they informed her that they would come out to assess the damage and they would do the rest on her behalf.there was a report made and the gent that came out said that a company would come out today ( 14/6/16 ) .this morning the daughter had a phone call to say her insurance was void because they had dug footings for an extension without informing them.where do they stand,is there anything they can do.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Who dug footings please? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We dug the footings,my daughters partner works for a building company and is a bricklayer by trade

Ok - was it done properly? If so can you get a survey to say so?
Is it part of your policy that you have to tell them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's building control involved and has been checked by the correct authorities ,after looking at the policy now,yes it says to inform them of any building work which we would have done once completed,didn't think we needed to inform them at this stage,the claim is for contents not extension.

Does it say you need to inform before or after?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does say to inform them before any building work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any suggestions on what we can do.?

ah ok. If they wont pay out all you can do is write and make a formal complaint. You should also get a formal survey done to comment on the quality of the work. They will investigate the matter and report back to you. I suspect they will not find for you then you can go to the Ombudsman.

You can send a copy of the report and they can investigate whether or not the not telling them in reality would have made any difference to the risk.

The Ombudsman is free, independent and can examine your complaint at:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help