13262538

Is a child entitled to legal aid in respect of an education

Is a child entitled to legal aid in respect of an education issue ? Admission to high school in their catchment area, form not received by parents so unable to return . School contacted parents day after closing date for admissions therefore parents unable to register child. Surely this is a flaw in the system and failure on behalf of the child.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How often did the parents request the forms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They never requested the forms, they didn't know you had to register a child for a high school in the catchment area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The forms were sent home with the child according to the school. The child did not bring any letter or form appertaining to this home.

What nationality are the parents?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
British

So they did have to apply for a school place for Primary school?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only had to put the child's name down for nursery and automatically went to primary school from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they didn't have to apply for primary school, not sure when this was introduced when you are in the catchment area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what year they had to apply for primary school?

It has been over six years - hence my query

The deadline is well advertised in the media - and often the subject of heated discussion between parents at the school gate.

It will also have been highlighted on the school website.

I am afraid that this is not a matter for which Legal Aid is available and it is a matter for the Parents to appeal - not the child.

I am sorry - I know this is not the answer that you are hoping for - but the processes you are already pursuing are the only way forward.

Please ask if you need further details