How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11865
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

I have works being done on my driveway and wanted to extend

This answer was rated:

I have works being done on my driveway and wanted to extend paving to end of grass verge. I had tarmac on the driveway before which went up to the edging between grass verge and pedestrian walkway.
There are about 16 properties on our street that have done this before and I did not seek Council approval for this.
Just over a year ago the council re-tarmaced the walkway along our street and only went upto the edging - in some houses the edging was at the boundary of the house and in others it was at the end of grass verge. When I questioned them about going to our boundary they said they would only do upto the edging at end of grass verge.
Now that I'm doing the works to go upto the edging of grass verge the highways are disputing this. I had a rude inspector come over and said we should stop all work immediately and they would come over to carry out works outside our boundary and this would cost anything upto £8K.
Where do I stand on this, should I finish off the job and say they should dispute all properties on the street not just kine. Or should I hold fire?
Need your expert advice.


Can you provid3 pictures or plans?

Generally, the roads are the responsibility of the highways agency. Including the act of dropping curbs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am attaching pictures of the current state of driveway. You will see that we have dug plus to where the concrete edge was at the end of grass verge.Whilst I have realised this part was highway agency property, I fail to understand why so many houses on our street have had their driveways extend to the same point.Why one standard for us and a different one for others.I'm unable to upload the images here as you seem to have a 5mb limit per file. Is there an email I can forward the images to?Thanks


Unfortunately, I cannot comment on what the neighbours may have or have not done and what action the highways agency has taken against them, if any.

As it stands, from the information you have provided, I would suggest that it is prudent to wait until you have received a full response from the Highways Agency before commencing any further works. Failure to do so may result in you incurring charges from the Highways Agency.

I would suggest that you inform the Highways Agency that the surrounding neighbours have carried out similar works and if you are requested to return the area to its former state that they should be requested to do the same.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your quick response and suggest.I have just received letter from Herts County (attached). I will:1. Call and request a license to store building materials on grass verge outside our house as I don't see us being done by tomorrow (17th June) as the recent weather has resulted in delays in completion of driveway works2. Call to request a meeting to discuss other points in person if possible (alternatively respond in writing). My thoughts on response:
- apologise for the works I initiated as I genuinely thought it was okay to go up to grass verge similar to other properties on the street
- offer to put right the damage caused but also ask why other properties on the street were allowed to do what I am being told not to do
- request ways to rectify the problem and submit application to drop kerb for the out side (we already have dropped curb to get into the driveway but was going to initiate process for the other side after driveway was done)Please advise if the above sounds okay or if I should address it any differently.Thanks


That seems like the corrwct course of action.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

chatham-chamber and other Law Specialists are ready to help you