How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A mobile phone company I work for, breached DPA and sold an

Customer Question

A mobile phone company I work for, breached DPA and sold an upgrade contract over the phone to a non authorised person whom is registered on my account to check their bill.
The person was offered an upgrade, and it was put through regardless of this person stating that they did not think they are authorised to do so.
The Mobile phone company have admitted their mistake and corrected it, however offered no compensation for dealing with this, nor for the unauthorised credit check which they would have to perform in order to upgrade someone, which reflects on my credit file.
Can I claim compensation for this? Please feel free to ask for any more details
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What loss did you suffer please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a credit agreement placed in my name, for a value of around 1200 pounds as a phone contract which affects my credit score. The company basically forged my agreement, while blatantly disregarding the fact that they were not making this offer to the account holder (me) and offered the sale anyway. They explained that they can give me a transcript of the conversation which would prove their blatant immorality, and show that the Mobile phone company (Vodafone) are in the wrong.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - but I assume your credit report has now been rectified?

How do know your credit score went down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the company have written to the credit agreement agency and put Cifas in place, I think that is something that is meant to prevent fraud.I don't know if I need to mention this, but the obviously the company didn't discover the fraud and rectify it. I've got an email after my holiday, and had to enquire why I have a phone order, and what it is, and why it was not delivered to my home address, which is the company policy.And none of this flagged up as fraud while Vodafone were blatantly doing me over to get a sale.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?