How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I red a private detective and wish to cancel. Their terms

This answer was rated:

I hired a private detective and wish to cancel. Their terms say 48 hours and you have to pay 50%, but I cancelled 50 hours before the service was due to start. I cancelled by email, but they didn't see the email until around 10 hours later. I am also within their 7 day cooling off period. Despite this they are refusing to refund. What should I do?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you instruct them over the phone or online?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,I found them online and after discussing the case placed the order over the phone last Friday.

Ok - then by law you have 14 days to cancel under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's great. What if they say the T&C's the supplied to me over rule the 14 day rule you mention? Is that possible? I assume the 14 days is because it was remote selling?
They sent a link to their T&C's via email, but I signed nothing.

It makes no difference, they can NOT change the law.

You have 14 days.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,It does, I was worried they would say their contract changes that.Thanks

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you