How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My elderly grandmother is being harrassed and threatened by

Customer Question

My elderly grandmother is being harrassed and threatened by debt collection agencies trying to collect debts owed by myself.
They have been informed that I do not live there, and it is making her ill. She has a weak heart already.
Can someone advise. I'm pretty sure what they are doing must be illegal as they know I do not live there. And she thinks they will be round to remove their goods and she is afraid to leave her house to go shopping.
I need to send a letter to make them stop. Or sue them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you owe the money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I don't live there. And am willing to sort out an agreeable payment plan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to help or make a suggestion?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have you spoken to them about a payment plan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are unwilling.The point is that my grandma is not the person who's belongings they should be threatening to take away.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Oh yes, but that doesn't mean they cannot write to you there unless, of course, she has provided a forwarding address and you have been in contact to confirm that you do live there.

I'm not sure what you wanted to achieve really? Obviously the debt will not go away. It will be easy enouh to get them to focus upon you if you give them your up to date address. Then she could just ignore any correspondence.

They cannot attend at her property without a CCJ anyway. They could get a CCJ and send bailiffs to that address unless you provide a new one.

Even then they cannot remove goods that do not belong to the debtor.

If you just want them to write to you then just update them with your address and that should be the end of it.

Can I clarify anything for you?