How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A friend of my fathers took my car three years ago at

Customer Question

A friend of my fathers took my car three years ago at repair. I gave him £2000 up front to fix it. I took him to court January 2015 and was awarded a CCJ for everything I was claiming for £5000. Following the date given by the judge for him to return my car he had not so I instructed the sheriffs office. Nothing.
I received a letter from the debt relief agency and he had applied for his total debt to be written off.
The official receiver agreed to this if he returned my car within 21 days. I have come home from work to find my car in my drive three years after he took it but with dents, scratches and the interior is covered in mud and smells musky! Not in the condition I gave it to him.
He works for himself in a rented lock up for cash (no cheque or credit card accepted) and I discovered from the official receiver that he's been claiming benifits for the last 5 years.
Is there anything I can do to stop the official receiver allowing him to write off my debt. Does his decision write off the courts decision ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your

question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Did the official receiver mention anything about the condition of the car, when it was agreed that he would need to return it to you? Also, please can you tell me if you contacted the official receiver about this at all?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thinking about it, this is unfortunately not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As the OR has been appointed, has he been made bankrupt? Kind regards AJ