How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49836
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My employers have just informed me that they have received

This answer was rated:

My employers have just informed me that they have received an invoice for 1800 + vat for damage to a property where I was delivering in my hgv. I was not aware I had caused any damage so never reported anything. My employers now want me to pay the bill. Where do I stand. And should the owner of the property have gone ahead with repairs without informing anyone?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Has the property owner provided any evidence that the damage was caused by the vehicle you were driving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've not seen it yet. But according to my boss it does look like I caused the damage. He sent cctv evidence.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. First of all you should ask the employer if they have insurance for this type of thing because they should really have something in place to cover such incidents. If they do they should be using that rather than asking you to pay directly for the damage caused. They may hold you responsible for the increase in premium but that should be no way near the damages you are now being asked to pay.

If the insurance will not cover this or there is no insurance in place, then you may be held responsible for this. Whilst there is no legal obligation on the other party to have told anyone before conducting the repairs, if the costs they have incurred are unreasonably high then you could argue that they should be reduced to a fair and reasonable amount.

Your rights now will very much depend on whether your contract has any clause allowing the employer to deduct these from your pay or if you are expected to voluntarily pay for the damage. If you could please let me know about the clause in question then I can advise on your further rights.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have based on the contractual clauses you have, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you can you please confirm if your contract has a clause allowing them to make such deductions from your pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just checked my contract and there is a section covering occasions when they can deduct pay but this subject doesn't come under any of them.

ok in the circumstances they are unlikely to be able to deduct these costs from your pay because if they do it would amount to unlawful deduction of wages so they will have to rely on you to pay them voluntarily or take you to court for them.