How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In November my son received notification of a speeding

This answer was rated:

In November my son received notification of a speeding violation, he was caught by a laser gun by police on his way to work doing 35mph in a 30 limit.
He is adamant that he was doing around 32 as this is the exact same area the police caught him about a year before doing 37, even then he was sure he wasn't doing that speed but accepted the fine and went to speed awareness.
My son has decided to fight this decision and the case is going to court. The paper work is ready to send and my son has stated not guilty.
We have done some research on laser speeding guns and I've read that they aren't 100% accurate if used through window, my son has filmed the police van in the exact area where he was supposedly caught speeding and the police are in van with all windows closed pointing gun through the glass.
My question is, apart from asking for calibration of said gun including on the day test is there anything else we can ask for or any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Has he entered a not guilty plea yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has papers here he's filling in and yes he has entered not guilty

Thanks. The defences are limited really.

You can only ask for the calibration certificate, proof that the gun is Home Office approved and that the Officer using it has had proper training.

That is all you can do. If they can show all of the above and the Officer says it was your son, then he is likely to be convicted.

It may be that his speedometer is faulty, in which case he needs to get the car checked, if it is showing a faulty reading he would still be guilty, but able to plead special reasons. But he needs a proper report to show its wrong.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Can I just ask if he has a case of faulty reading if laser used through closed window?

Only if the training says they cant do that or its against manufacturer recommendations.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
It seems as if his chances of winning are not worth the expense it may cause. Perhaps he should've accepted points and fine rather than now escalate it to court as I'm worried he will end up with court costs.
Is there anyway now he can change plea to guilty and avoid court?

If proceedings have been issued, sadly not.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one final question
Would it be worth us paying for representation in court?

You can yes, but clearly there would be a cost to that,

Does that help?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you