How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A builder di some work which finished just over a year ago.

This answer was rated:

A builder di some work for us which finished just over a year ago. Part of that work was to install an ensuite shower room. I year on the floor across the diameter of the room has started to form a convex horizontal hump similar to a 'sleeping policeman'. This could be indicative of a slow leak and the flooring absorbing water and expanding. I have notified the builder but he has ignored my email. Do I have any right to insist that he makes good the damage?

Do you know if he is still trading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is

Is he running a limited company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?


Proceeding on the basis that this is a fault caused by his work then he is clearly liable to put it right or compensate you so that another can do so.

Whether or not it is caused by his work is another matter. It seems likely in all the circumstances. I’m not sure how he could deny it.

He may not be keen upon taking remedial action but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a valid claim against him.

Obviously limited companies are easy enough to close down so that is a risk but if he has been trading for some time that is unlikely.

You do have to give him sound notice though before you instruct another and sue him for the cost.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I get a solicitor to write to him on my behalf, how long is sound notice and how much will it cost to sue him for the cost?

Do you know what the cost of putting it right is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't expect anyone will do it for less that £1000

It is not really worth getting a solicitor to do it then. A solicitor will charge about £100 plus VAt and you cannot claim it back.

A barrister under public access might be cheaper but you can send a letter before action yourself for free.

It will be about £100 to sue him. You can do it here

But I would give him 28 days warning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I write to him and tell him that I will give him until 4 weeks time to complete the rectification work and then will use someone else and will sue him for the cost (only put a bit more politely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go now have a visitor

Yes, but give him a specific date - unless he responds by 4pm on X date you will take these actions.

then there can be no argument.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you