How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10976
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I paid a deposit of 1000.00 pounds holding deposit to an

This answer was rated:

I paid a deposit of 1000.00 pounds holding deposit to an auctioneer while they did a reference check they told me that if I did not qualify I would get a refund minus the cost of ref check
Around 150 pounds
Thi went on for several weeks as I am self employed I could not meet there criteria
It was a 2 bed flat so the perso moving in with me went joint on tenancy
He also failed I was never informed by the letting company of this
When I rang today I was told I was not entitled to a refund
I would like your advice on what to do
Regards stephen

1. Dear *****, it is sharp practice on behalf of the auctioneer to seek to keep your £1000. The way to get it back without the expense of legal proceedings is to make a complaint to the Property Ombudsman Scheme. Here is a link to the scheme Essentially, every auctioneer must, since 2015, be a member of such a scheme. So you should make complaint about this auctioneer not refunding you your money and make a complaint about their behaviour generally. Alternatively, you can issue legal proceedings. However, be aware that unless you issue legal proceedings yourself, it is likely that much of your money will end up going in legal fees. This is because issuing legal proceedings is expensive and you don't always get your costs back. Accordingly, I would recommend the use of the Property Ombudsman Scheme instead.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you