How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I want to go separation and get rehoused how do I go about

This answer was rated:

I want to go for a separation and get rehoused how do I go about this on the grounds of his affair?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-Are you in England or Wales?
-How old are you both?
-Are you married, if so for how long?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in England, i'm 53 he is 63. 11years married. No children together. I have a works pension he has none. No assets together. No joints accounts together.

Is the current home owned, or rented and in whose name and who is living there now?

What is your pension pot worth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is rented, just me and him is living there.and it's in both our names my pension is a council pensign, I don't know how much it's worth.

So it is a state pension and not a private pension?

Is the property a council tenancy or private tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Private teanecy

Will he admit to adultery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to be rehoused.

Do you have any health needs, physical or mental?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have blood pressure and I just come out with eczema with the stress.

Thank you for confirming, and apologies for the delay in responding.

You will be able to apply for a divorce under unreasonable behaviour and you can state the affair as the fact of unreasonable behaviour.

However, in relation to rehousing this will have to be done privately as the local authority are unlikely to deem that they have a duty to assist you as you do not have any serious health conditions that put you in priority need.

If you are unable to meet your reasonable needs then you are entitled to apply to court under Form A once the divorce is issued for spousal maintenance from your husband to support you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is my time up

What further can I assist with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can get proof that he is having affair what will happen with the law?

It will support you in your application for divorce, however it will not allow you to be rehoused. The only option you can proceed with is to apply for a transfer of tenancy for the private tenancy to your sole name. However, as it is a private tenancy, you have no security of tenure and therefore it may be easier and more straightforward to attempt to find your own accommodation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I be able to get a supporting letter,to get rehoused, cause it's like mental torture not speaking to one another?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Living separate lives now

You can request such a letter from your GP, however it is extremely likely that the housing association will not deem you in priority need and will only offer to assist with any deposits for a private tenancy if you are unable to afford this yourself.