How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Madam, my query is this, I suspect a girl I went out with 14

Customer Question

Dear Sir/madam, my query is this, I suspect a girl I went out with 14 years ago was pregnant by me when she left me and now has a daughter of mine. I have confronted her about this about 2 years ago but she denied outright that this had happened, now I am not so sure and am finding it impossible to move on with my own life with this factor over my head. Can you tell me is there a way of finding out whether I have a daughter and if so what steps can I take now so I can get on with my life, I am now 40 years of age?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Initially, you should formally write to the mother and request her agreement to undertake a DNA paternity test. If she refuses, you will then need to apply to court for a parentage declaration, the process of which you can find here:

If you do not have a birth certificate for the child, you will need to complete a further form C2 alongside the above application.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris, I am still uncertain if I have a child at all, and that her mother is hiding the fact from me, how can I locate her mother to find out if I am a Dad at all as she seems to be untraceable?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

How did you contact her two years ago? Have she moved away completely?