How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

Is I live in the UK and have been offered employment from an

This answer was rated:

Is I live in the UK and have been offered employment from an Autralian company in IT. But can work online from the UK, but am an employee of an Astralian based company. Do I still have to register as self employed and pay tax in the UK?


Thanks for your question.

As you are ordinarily resident in the UK you will be subject to UK tax and must pay tax in Uk.

Does the Australian company have an office in the UK? If yes, the employer will pay paye and NI contributions to HMRC.

If not, the situation is more complicated. You will need to set up some sort of self employed status or service company. You would the have to inovice the Australian company. You will need to speak to HMRC and an accountant to set up the correct arrangement.

I hope this helps.

Do let me know if you have any queries in relation to my reply.

Please can I ask you to accept / positive rate my reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks this was very helpful.Lauren

Thanks Lauren

Good luck with the new job!

Please can I ask you to accept /positive rate my reply. This is how the professionals on JA receive credit for helping people.

Many thanks.

Hi Lauren, sorry to follow this up. Please can you accept /positive rate my assistance. I will not receive credit for helping you otherwise. Many thanks.

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you