How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

On handing back my property, I found the letting agent had

This answer was rated:

On handing back my property, I found the letting agent had allowed the tenant, (even though there had been regular inspections saying the property was in good order), to inflict a great deal of damage to the property. I had to claim 1,100 pounds from my home insurance company, to make repairs. What steps can I make to seek recompense from the letting agents? They also failed to hand back all property keys, I had to pay 100 pounds to fit replacement locks. The property bond of 800 pounds was also used to paint and clean the property, before returning to me (I gave permission for this).

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much are you short, less what you have taken from the deposit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Five hundred pounds. But I still feel the agent has failed to comply with the letting agreement.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund from the agent within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you